24 August 2009

BEER REVIEW: Coastal Brewing Company - Defender's Choice


I was in my local favorite liquor store the other day looking for the latest craft beer to review when a six-pack carton caught my eye. It had a red, white, and blue stripe across it and the name Defender's Of Freedom Choice on the side. I had never heard of it before and there wasn't really any information about the beer itself on either the carton or the bottle; however, it did say that it was dedicated to our brave and heroic service men and women, and that a portion of the sales would be donated to the Fisher House, a private / public partnership that supports our military personnel in need (fisherhouse.org). Being a patriotic American and a veteran, naturally I had to give it a try, at least for the purpose of the charity.

Defender's Choice is made by Coastal Brewing Company of Dover, Delaware which I understand is owned by the partnership of Fordham Brewing Co. and Anheuser - Busch. Well as you know, I am NOT a fan of the mega-brewers but many people are so fair is fair. I really can't tell you anything about the malt, hops, or other additives it is made with, or what the ABV is because as I said, there wasn't any information on the packaging and there wasn't a web-site either.

The pour revealed pleasant, malty notes and a yellow-golden color which was slightly opaque. It didn't have much of a head and didn't leave very much lace behind either. The taste was also a little malty and it had a crisp mouth-feel that was refreshing with a nice finish. All-in-all, this beer was consistent with a lot of the mainstream American-style lagers but was a little more flavorful than the Buds and Coors. Not a bad warm-weather beer.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard of this beer, but have never actually tried it. It hasn't gained much popularity here in New Jersey, especially with the heavy competition of the GREAT microbrews out here (Harpoon Brewery, Dogfish Head, Flying Dog, etc). I appreciate the review ~ I'll be sure to pass the word along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was sold in cans in college and it was stopped because it tasted like grape juice mixed with a 40 oz of malt liquor. 24 can packs went for under $10...perhaps they just bought the name, but this was THE WORST you could buy at the brew-thru, cheaper than classic ice, or milwaukee's beast.

    ReplyDelete